Thursday 8 July 2021

A story from Birmingham days

After breakfast, a little later than usual, I walked to St John's to celebrate the Eucharist with eleven others. After the service I had a long catch-up phone call with a former St Mike's student while I was walking home. That's the second time a former student has been in touch this week. The other one was by email from a man who was an undergraduate in Birmingham while I was a chaplain there forty nine years ago. 

He came to see me after he'd met evangelists from Campus Crusade for Christ who were new to the scene in those days. He didn't have a church background but they'd got him thinking though not altogether clearly about religion and spiritual life. I don't think he was too sure about why he was in university either. I suggested he might take some time out at Hilfield Friary to sort himself out. 

For him this proved to be the start of his faith journey. He dropped out of University moved to London and started worshipping regularly at All Souls Langham Place at a time when John Stott a great evangelical apologist was Rector. This was where his commitment flourished and eventually he followed the path to ordination and ministry in the Church of England. Now he's retired and had decided to get in touch to tell me his story, as the last I heard was that he was quitting student life. He reflected that we're never aware of how seeds we sow bear fruit. He thought I'd like to know. I was delighted to say the least. 

A retreat at the Friary when I was a second year undergraduate seven years before him, had been a powerful influence in deepening my faith and moving me towards a life in ministry. I wonder how many people over the years have shared that experience after spending time with the Franciscans? More than ever join the community that's for sure. The advice I'd given was nothing more than one beggar telling another where to find bread.

When I got home I cooked lunch in time for Clare to arrive from her last school session of the term, then I worked on my Sunday sermon before walking over to Lidl's to stock up on wine, as Owain is coming over for a belated birthday weekend. Then I started work on next Thursday's Reflection and recorded the proper readings for Morning Prayer, to give myself a head start. Before turning in, I even found time to read a few pages of 'Invierno en Madrid' for the first time in months. All in all, a productive day, more so than usual. It's something to do with the healing that's nearing completion. It's easier to sit and concentrate with less physical distraction than at any time for the past three years. Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment