Wednesday 15 September 2021

Bereavement impacts

After breakfast this morning I drove to St German's to celebrate the Mass of our Lady of Sorrows with six others. I'm enjoying using the Lady Chapel now that I know where the light switches are. Actually the sun lights up most of the chapel in the morning but not the sanctuary and altar. My cataracts make it hard to read if the book is in shadow, so this makes a difference. 

Co-incidentally when I arrived home there was a letter from the University Ophthalmology department informing me that my application for eye surgery has been added to the waiting list! Optometrist Ceri told me at my last appointment two months ago that I could expect to hear if I'd been put on to the list in three months, so that's an improvement. I may still have to wait more than a year for treatment, however, unless I pay for private surgery, which I'm reluctant to do. Meanwhile, I have to go on-line and complete a questionnaire about my sight condition, which presumes I can see to use a computer.

I did the weekly grocery shopping trip to the Co-op and got lucky this week as it wasn't nearly as busy as last week and there was no queue at the till. Then I collected this week's veggie bag before sitting down to lunch which Clare had prepared while I was out.

We were saddened to hear from Owain that there will be an even longer delay to his apartment purchase as the owner whose share in a co-ownership property has died before exchange of contract. He will now have to wait until probate is granted on the estate of the deceased. A niece who is an executor of the estate called Owain to establish he's still in the process of purchasing preliminaries, and reassured him the executors are happy with his offer and wish to continue selling to him. It just means another wait of four to six months to complete the sale. 

What is most unfortunate for Owain is that his motivation to get on with buying a place of his own was due to the death of his landlord six months ago. He doesn't know exactly when his deceased landlord's estate will be settled, who will inherit and what their intentions will be about existing tenants. He doesn't know if or when he might be given notice, but unlikely it'll happen until the New Year. On the positive side, the landlord was living abroad, and this complicates the settlement of the estate in especially in pandemic times, so his tenancy may be secure for long enough for his purchase to go through.

Marc came over after lunch to rehearse tomorrow's kindergarten eurythmy class with Clare. He brought with him his favourite violin, a three hundred year old German instrument, a real treasure lovely to look at. I didn't fall asleep in the chair after lunch as I usually do while they worked together, it was enjoyable listening to them performing and discussing in the next room. Then I went out for a walk, and thought I'd listen to Choral Evensong outdoors with BBC Sounds on my phone. That was when I discovered that Wednesday's service has been re-scheduled to four o'clock, which is a good thing in my opinion. To my mind, evening begins as the sun is setting. Only in deep midwinter does it set at four. I'm often taking a siesta at three and have to listen on catch-up if I remember it's Wednesday. 

Anyway, I reached home as it was starting with the Latin Litany of the Saints in procession at a service in Edington Priory Wiltshire, part of the annual Edington Festival of Music in the Liturgy now in its 65th year. I remember visiting Edington on a chaplaincy 'church crawl' when I was a student in Bristol. I have a vague recollection of attending a choral service there, but can't remember whether it was in the festival week or not.

In the evening I watched a marvellous wildlife programme set in Brazil and for once it wasn't all about the Amazon tropical rain forests, but about semi arid regions where the seasonal rains play a vital part. An amazing  looking at unique biodiversity and ecosystems.

No comments:

Post a Comment