Thursday 30 September 2021

Reclaiming wilderness in Wales

Another chilly night, slightly warmer by day, overcast with showers, definitely autumnal weather. I went to the Eucharist at St John's. There were seven of us, with Mthr Frances. I had to walk briskly afterwards to the pharmacy in King's road for my 'flu jab, before returning home and cooking lunch in the for Clare's return from school.

After lunch I took the 61 bus to town, to avoid the intermittent showers, to take photos of the Betty Campbell statue outside the HMRC building in Wood Street. It's an impressive piece of work, both in its overall concept and in the detail. See for yourself, my photos are here. 

We watched a wonderful half hour wildlife programme, with Iolo Williams looking for Wales' only golden eagle in the Cambrian Mountains north east of Tregaron. It seems the bird escaped from captivity a decade ago and has settled in this remote depopulated region, able to feed itself by hunting rabbits and other small mammals. There are also kites, buzzards and merlin in the area, but they are dwarfed by the two metre wingspan of the eagle. When the eagle shows up, other raptors back off. Iolo was saying that the region is no longer as rich in wildlife as it once was, but he suggested changes in land management and ecosystem conservation could reverse the decline. It was a gentle overture rather than a rousing campaign speech. I wonder if anyone is government was watching? Anyway, I've written to the First Minister this evening, as he's the Senedd member for my constituency.


No comments:

Post a Comment