Saturday 4 November 2023

New series night

More rain overnight again, but the sun shone among the clouds when I woke up, then a morning in which periodic intense cloudbursts turned dropped kerbs on street corners into ponds as water couldn't soak away quickly enough. A tribute to poor design. We had waffles for breakfast, then I printed tomorrow's sermon, and sat reading more of Diana's novel until the rain stopped, allowing us to go out for a walk for an hour and a half. On the way back we called in the Co-op to buy provisions for drinks after church tomorrow, as it's Clare's turn to serve. We also called at the deli for a takeaway vegan lunch and the Hot Pantry bakery to buy a sausage roll and a Chelsea bun. They do very good Chelsea buns, a reminder of childhood.

I read some more of Diana's novel after lunch, and then walked over to Aldi's for a bottle of brandy for Clare's Swedish Bitters decoction and a few other things that they do well and at a better price than other stores. The water in the Taff at Blackweir had nearly reached the top of the fish ladder when I crossed the bridge on my way there. When I returned, the water level had risen a few inches in the half an hour since I crossed over and took a video of the river. The short clips I took, I used in making a one minute composite video when I returned, the best way of finding out how to place transitions and fades between clips. It works in a slightly different way to Windows Movie Maker which I learned to use a long while back.

On the evening news, representatives of Jordan and Egypt called for a ceasefire in Gaza in the presence of Anthony Blinken, US Secretary of State, who was non-committal about this. Israel called a three hour halt to the assault this afternoon to allow civilians to leave and go to the south of Gaza, but it's not clear how many refugees took advantage, fearful of being shot at either mistakenly by Israelis or Hamas fighters trying to prevent people from fleeing, as they are hiding behind civilians when not on the attack. It is alleged by the Israeli military that an ambulance shelled yesterday contained Hamas fighters not injured people. Will this be verified by evidence produced eventually? We'll see. 

After supper, I finished reading Diana's novel, then watched the first in a new series of 'Shetland' followed by the first in a new series of 'Usedom Krimi' before finishing the day. It's been a while since I've watched anything in German. It makes a change. 



No comments:

Post a Comment