Thursday 7 March 2024

Shut but not locked

I was awake early this morning and posted today's YouTube link to WhatsApp just after seven, then went back to sleep until ten to nine. After breakfast, Clare went to the eye clinic for another brief session as a test subject for a new piece of eye monitoring technology. I went to St John's for the Eucharist via Tesco's to get some foodbank supplies. Linda was standing outside the church, the door was shut and nobody was around. We waited until half past ten and still nobody came, so I handed over my foodbank goods to her, as she and David her husband take responsibility for ferrying donations to the foodbank depot. 

Later I found out that the door, although shut was not locked, Fr Andrew and Ruth were inside waiting for others to arrive. The door latch is made of cast iron and is very stiff, difficult to open, as its exterior iron ring handle went missing years ago and has never been replaced. Turning the spindle after unlocking is quite difficult, which is why normally anyone unlocking the door leaves it ajar. I didn't think to check as I could see no lights on inside the church, and took Linda's word for it when she found it shut and assumed it must be locked. Hers was the only car outside. Fr Andrew goes around by bike. Ah well lessons learned by all. One of these days, that iron ring handle will be replaced.

As I was home earlier than usual, I started work on Passiontide Morning Prayer and Reflection, then recorded it. We had a light lunch, anticipating eating a cooked meal for supper when Owain arrives. Afterwards I walked to Aldi's to get some Brazil nuts. Worth the effort as they are half the price there than there are in the Coop, for some strange reason. We prepared supper, but learned from Owain that he'd been delayed at the dentists, so we set aside a meal for him and ate ours at our usual supper time. It was nine by the time he arrived, bearing two bunches of flowers, as it's Mothering Sunday weekend. Clare had already gone to bed, fighting off a cold, so we sat and chatted, and then sat in front of laptops watching different videos. When I was ready to go to bed I realise that I'd forgotten to send out the link to this week's Sway this afternoon, and did that before turning in.


No comments:

Post a Comment