Tuesday 12 March 2024

Hummus and chutney day

Rain again today, mostly fine misty rain. I worked with Paula remotely on Sway, a little test exercise to see how easy co-editing would be, then cooked lunch and made a batch of hummus with chick peas from the freezer, and some which I cooked yesterday. 

After lunch I slept in the chair for an hour, making up for a disturbed night then I went and did the Coop grocery shopping for the week. It was drizzling and I took an umbrella which was impossible to manage with a shopping trolley in the the other hand, as there were gusts of wind to contend with. I won't do that again. The drizzle stopped by the time I reached home, so I walked in the park after unloading the shopping trolley. It wasn't particularly cold, but dampness in the air seemed to make my leg muscles stiffer than usual so completing my daily distance was an effort.

When I left Martin's yesterday he gave me a couple of kilos of South African dates from a large catering sized box he bought at his favourite greengrocer's in Newport High Street. Rather than just eat them all in the next couple of weeks, I decided to turn some of them into date chutney. As we had the ingredients in just the right amounts, I de-stoned the dates, chopped the onions and cooking apple, and stewed them in a pan with vinegar and brown sugar. Two hours later I filled eight half pound jam jars with chutney, and felt great satisfaction. 

While pot-watching I carried on reading 'Travesuras de la nina mala'. It's the first time I've felt like reading for a good while.  I think I'm starting to relax now that Andrew is in post, and I'm handing over my Sway duties to Paula. I have a few weekday services to take this week and weeks following but no Sunday services or sermons to think about. I can't remember when was the last time that I had so little to do over Holy Week and Easter. It's an opportunity to be less active and more contemplative. I'm not sure how I'll benefit from this, but carpe diem, when there's no alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment