Wednesday 6 March 2024

Budget day

A gloriously sunny early Spring day to wake up to. A digital poster for Sway was sent to me to publicise Fr Sion's licensing on 28th April, but the text size was too small and it had redundant text in it, so I had to edit the jpeg file using Gimp. It's a task I rarely have to do, and find very tricky indeed as a result. Gimp is as complex as Photoshop, but not as user friends. There must be other ways to achieve the same objective, but researching them and practicing takes even more time, so I persisted and got where I needed ro go, at the cost of nearly being late for church.

There were eight of us with Fr Andrew for his first St Catherine's Wednesday Eucharist. It was Paul's birthday, so we had cake with our drinks in the church hall afterwards. Andrew walked with me to Chapter to pick up this week's veg bag, then we set together in the quiet area and mapped out the services for Holy Week in preparation for next week's Sway publicity blitz. When I reached home at one I cooked lunch. We had agreed that we'd eat in the evening because Owain is coming to join us, but Clare out in the garden tidying up, got the day wrong. It's tomorrow he comes!

After lunch I drew up a Holy Week service schedule and emailed it to Andrew for checking, then I went to the Coop for the rest of this week's groceries. I had another migraine aura, following one as I was cooking. It's not happened to me before. I think it's due to stiff neck muscles from sleeping awkwardly. I forces me to stop and rest while massaging my neck and jaw to  ease the pressure. Time out, whether I want it or not.

It's budget day in Parliament, a last ditch effort by the Chancellor to woo back lost voters when the Tories are so unpopular and polling low. How will the financial markets react to this, and media commentariat. Then, how will the electorate react, and will it lead to an early election, or the government hanging on for grim death until they have to, to make it as difficult as possible for any party coming into government to pick up the threads and repair the damage? Interesting times.

When the aura dissipated I walked for an hour and escaped a headache.  After supper, with nothing else to do, I carried on watching more episodes of 'Above Suspicion'. An interesting police procedural with one female detective in a bullish male investigative team. Her quiet gentle method contrast with those of her colleagues, but her detailed observation often uncover crucial evidence unnoticed by others. Unless she gets a word in edgeways. The dynamics of relationships portrayed are as interesting as the crimes under investigation are particularly nasty. I'm still trying to date the series, which from my observations make it pre-smartphone. Over ten years ago. Still mountains of non-digitized paper files on desks. I checked the series on IMDB, and it dates back to 2009-12. So I wasn't far out.

No comments:

Post a Comment