Sunday 1 May 2011

Low Sunday - Mayday anniversary

I drove out to St John's Penllyn again this morning to lead the 9.15 Parish Eucharist for ten people. The church register recorded more than thirty attending for last week's Easter Sunday celebration. Such fluctuation in numbers is almost customary in these days of mobile populations, living in one place and working in another which may be far away. 

After cup of coffee in church with members of the congregation, I drove back down the A48 to to the village of Saint Hilary for the second service of the morning. A  church here was dedicated by the Normans to fourth century French theologian St Hilary of Poitiers in the twelfth century. The exquisite village and Manor took the saint's name as well. As I was getting out of my car, I was delighted to hear the church's peal of six bells being rung to welcome worshippers, on this beautiful spring morning.
As ever, none of the bell-ringers stayed for the service, yet there was still a congregation of nearly thirty, and the church register told me the number last Sunday was double that. Quite impressive for a country village. I gather St Hilary has plenty of social activities in keeping with its largely professional constituency. Again there was coffee and conversation afterwards.

On my way home for lunch I had a preparation visit to make to the home of a woman who was next of kin to a septegenarian whose funeral I'll be conducting this week. I heard the sad story of a divided family in which communication between siblings as well as parents failed decades ago. What will I be able to say to those who attend, not even knowing who will turn up?

I returned to the Vale church of Flemingston to lead Evensong and preach for six people. Last time I was there, it got dark much earlier and I was unable to take a photo. I allowed plenty of travel time on this occasion and was able to enjoy the scene for half an hour before starting work.
Flemingston Court next door to the church was, I think, the site of the original local Manor house. It still has access over a stile into the churchyard from its courtyard. Worth a couple of extra photos, I think.
This was the first time I'd taken Evensong in the year since my retirement, one year ago this weekend. What a lot has happened in that year! We're well installed in our new home, and have done a reasonable amount of travelling for pleasure and duty. However, I don't yet feel settled. I'm still lacking a sense of what my mission in life is to be, now that I have as much freedom and security as I need. I write a fair amount, but I not sure of my goal. I'm suspicious of writing for academic purposes. Having little faith in publication and publicity doesn't help either. Throughout my adult life there has always been some meeting of personal impulse and aspiration with some opportunity coming towards me. If it's there at the moment I can't see it. 

The wait is an interesting learning curve, however.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment