Wednesday 11 May 2011

Midweek celebration

I walked down to town this morning to rendezvous with churchwarden Judith, and go to the Church shop to celebrate the midweek Eucharist there. Eleven people turned up, including some visitors, who were appreciative to find an act of worship going on in the midst of the everyday retailing on second hand books and nearly new clothes. Afterwards I went to the Hotel on the Balcon de Europe, to rendezvous with a couple whose civil marriage I'm blessing  next week. I was on time, but a week early for the meeting, I discovered when I checked the documents. So I bought some fresh fish in a real fishmonger's shop and headed home for lunch.

A phone call at siesta time brought a second funeral request - a woman who was somewhat disconcerted to learn of Fr Geoff's absence on leave. A member of a local English speakers choir in which he sings had died, and a funeral was to be arranged at which the choir would sing and Fr Geoff was asked to officiate. I was able to reassure her that as his stand-in, I would be available for a service on Friday - at the Thanatorium near the Velez Malaga motorway junction. Later in the day, I received a call from the widowed husband, and we arranged a preparatory get together with the family for tomorrow at a beach snack bar in neighbouring Torrox. 

The evening news reported an earthquake in Lorca, near Murcia, about three hours drive north of here. Just as I was about to go to bed, my sister June rang for reassurance that we were OK, as she'd heard on the news that  the quake had been felt in Granada, just over an hour's drive through the mountains east of here. Whatever next, I wonder?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment