Monday 4 February 2013

Landmark day - for someone else now

When I dragged myself out of bed to go to College, a blue sky greeted me with the sun rising behind the houses to the south of us. Such good cheer to start a |Monday with! The BBC Today programme told me Justin Welby would be ritually elected as Archbishop of Canterbury this morning. I wish him many blessings, but the wish doesn't carry the same energy as it did when former Archbishop of Wales Rowan Williams was elected to this post. I knew him personally when he was Bishop of Monmouth, and he ministered to me compassionately when I was having a hard time in Geneva.

After Matins and breakfast, there was a student to converse with, some office work to do, lunch, and conversations, then off to my other office in town for a couple of hours and more conversations with a potential new volunteer. It was less easy to work here as loud rehearsals for tonight's Motorpoint Arena show from a band called 'Plan B' made the walls vibrate with the noise of heavy rock music. 

I was glad to get back to College for a Family Service which had two groups of children engaging in a handwashing competition to see which could wear down a bar of soap quickest - linked to a soapy reference from the prophet Malachi. Lovely. Then home for supper and a quiet evening, already thinking and preparing the arrangements for the Ash Wednesday College quiet day a week and two days from now.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment