Friday 15 February 2013

Transformer death

Yesterday, after Eucharist, breakfast and conversations in College, I spent the rest of the morning preparing a sermon for Sunday. Then, after lunch I went down to the CBS office for a few hours of 'tech support' before returning for Evensong, at which Caroline Downes was the preacher. She made superb work of 'Renunciation' in our Lenten series, and clearly relished giving a serious message with occasional flashes of gentle humour. As it was Valentine's day, I walked home via the Llandaff Village Spar mini-market, to buy some flowers for Clare. For once I didn't have to rush home before going out again as I had no Tai Chi class. I was glad of the night in to recover. 

Ashley called me to say his new Asus Transformer Infinity had died since last using it earlier in the week. He thought that battery had drained and that it would no longer re-charge. Hooked up to the mains and switched on, it displayed the Asus logo but nothing more. Another job to do tomorrow.

We slept in, and rose an hour later than usual, all in the name of redressing the sleep deficit, and I went to the CBS office after lunch to meet Ashley and inspect the Asus. Sure enough, the boot up routine began with the logo displayed brightly for a few seconds, giving way to a black screen. No other sign of life. Charging circuit failure? Maybe not, given the brightness of the brief logo show. Maybe not a motherboard failure, as that would rule out the slightest sign of life. A solid state hard disk failure seems likely, so it couldn't load its Android operating system. Such a disappointment.

When I was due to leave for home we went across the road to the John Lewis Store and exchanged it for a refund, since for the moment supplies of this model are rather scanty. We'd still like to have one, as it seems the best choice for our working needs.

It was my turn to cook, and I made an experimental dish with black eyed beans, veg and quinoa. Clare rang to say she was bringing Leila, one of the Steiner teachers, home for supper. They've been working on preparing class rooms for the re-start of school on Monday, following the premises move over half term. We had just the right amount and I was pleased with how my new dish tasted and the approval it got.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment