Tuesday 5 February 2013

Raison d'être

Stephen Adams gave this morning's meditation at College Morning Prayer speaking about the journal of an American pastor in his twilight years, reviewing his life in ministry with all its joy, sorrows, doubts and hopes. He gently challenged students to wonder what their journal might contain at the end of their ministerial life, whether that be twenty years from now in the case of some late vocations, or fifty. It's about getting ones aspirations and ambitions in perspective, illuminated by one's faith, as it is now, as it might develop through ministry.

I find that an interesting challenge, having made an effort to compose a vocational biography of my own some years ago, and now in retirement, finding myself often being reproached "You're supposed to have stopped working now, aren't you?" I don't get it. My career as a cleric working full time for the Church in Wales has ended, but a new way of life as a voluntary priest has developed, thanks to good health, and no diminishing in my desire to participate in mission and evangelism, in season and out of season. It's part of the reason why I write this blog. 

I thrive on the thought that I am not yet finished, and still have no need to call it a day stay home and take my ease. I prefer being able to work just at things I love doing freely, and at a leisurely pace, so it's possible to get the taste of what one does rather than gobbling up tasks, rushing, achieving, surviving. It means I'm happier with what I can do, and no longer worry about what I can't

I spent most of the day in College reading reflections and sermons from students, and writing some of my own before the Tutor group met. This week Rufus talked about his summer placement in a large Church Aided junior school, and drew out some very interesting observations for us to discuss. Then it was time to dash home, and grab a bite to eat before my Chi Gong class. I'm still tired because I haven't fully adjusted my sleep pattern to compensate for earlier rising but the class did me good. 

Clare and I went to see the 'Les Miserables' movie afterwards at Chapter. It was a full house and the queue was long, even though we had tickets. I found it an polished powerful piece of work, with a striking 'theological' storyline, although the final cheery set piece on the barricades lamed it a bit, for my taste, when so much of the second half of the movie illustrated the futility of violent revolution.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment