Wednesday 8 May 2013

All a matter of luck

As it was a bright sunny morning yesterday, I cycled into College for Matins and meditation, but returned home to work after breakfast, as the internet connection was down. I did a bereavement visit in my local Parish on the way, preparing for a funeral this Thursday. The usual tutor group afternoon meeting continued with Bible Study on 1 Peter. I'm making an effort to listen more than I talk. Discussion didn't come easily today. Perhaps everyone is depleted, just finished the term's final round of essay deadlines. There was certainly a plea voiced to cancel tutor group meetings today. I figured that the members had mutually agreed to study a biblical text which would cover one chapter a week for five weeks until the end of term. If you make such an undertaking in a parish you have to stick to it, so why not get into the habit here? No matter how drained of resources you may be. Frankly it was a relief to ride off to my Chi Gung class, and recover some of my own depleted energy.

Today I spent the afternoon in the CBS office, working at finalising for circulation the Steering Group minutes from a couple of weeks ago. They've been waiting for a time when Ashley and I could review them together without other matters intruding on the conversation. There are always so many distractions to hinder us. I had intended to go into College for the Eucharist before supper, but left just too late to get the vital bus that would allow me to arrive on time. One distraction too many, no doubt.

It was nice that Owain came around for supper. His job finished last Friday. This time he was able to register his unemployment and ask for a Job Centre appointment on-line. Not that he hasn't stopped looking for work all the time he's been in his recent temporary post. He gets the interviews, but not the job offers and this has pressed him to look at every aspect of his performance and application processes. He showed us his new smartened up C.V. - same facts different cladding. More eye catching, he hopes. His continued optimism amazes me. Meanwhile his techno music output gains recognition and praise, and a lucky break with music might just as equally give him the career he'd love to have, as opposed to continuing in the career he's been fruitlessly pursuing this past couple of years. He's philosophical about it all. "Job or music breakthrough - all a matter of luck." he says.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment