Tuesday 28 May 2013

Breakdown in the rain

A domestic morning - shopping, banking a cheque, finally getting my hair cut - then, a flying visit to the CBS office to sort out an office equipment malfunction, and prepare some documents for debt chasing, before going to College for the weekly tutor group meeting attended by only two of the five students, as to are away dealing with bereavements and a third is unwell. With no Chi Gung class to go to this evening, I had time to collect my spare printer/scanner and deliver to Owain at home. The rain didn't let up all day, so it was pretty unpleasant. I was consciously avoiding puddles as I drove home, aware of the trouble I had last time I was out driving in heavy rain, but to no avail.

The car stopped once just after I turned off Western Avenue after splashing through one small puddle - it always seems to happen where there are double yellow lines - but I got it started only to have it die again, just as I reached the Penhill Road traffic lights. I rolled down the hill, trying to bump start, but to no avail, and had to park on double yellow lines again, opposite the junction with Llanfair Road, just five yards short of a legal parking space. How annoying!
At least I could go home to phone the Green Flag rescue service - the first time in the four years we've had the car. It was seven o'clock. It was gone nine when the tow-truck arrived, and I'd cooked and eaten half my supper. The mechanic told me he'd attended nine calls in two hours. "I always goes mad when it rains like this." He said cheerily. It didn't take long to diagnose a broken High Tension coil, as opposed to auto-electrics which have been temporarily inundated with water, which soon dry out if the engine. 

So, with my bike on the tow truck back seat, we took the car down to Splott and parked it outside NG Motors, then I cycled the two miles back home and ate the other half of my supper. Not exactly how I'd expected to spend my free evening.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment