Tuesday 14 May 2013

Going against the flow

Rain, more rain, even heavier today.

I wimped out of going into College for Matins and meditation, and arrived after breakfast in time to catch a few people, before going on to do a funeral planning visit in Radyr. The rain was so heavy the roads were awash, and twice on the way from Llandaff to Radyr, the engine cut out in embarassing locations, due to swamped electrics. I drove home for lunch carefully, and returned to College to celebrate the Welsh language Eucharist later. Just as I was driving up Cardiff Road approaching College, the engine cut out once more. 

I had just enough momentum to pull off into the road immediately before the College turn-off, and had to sit there blocking the side road until the engine re-ignited again. Since it's usually a robust car it didn't take long to get going again, but I had visions of being stuck and having to push the car into a free parking space, getting soaked on my way to celebrate 'Yr Offeren'. Fortunately it didn't happen and all ended well - very well, as there were double the number of attendees due to a course in College for the day.

My tutor group arranged to go out for a pizza together this evening, so we didn't meet. I wasn't able to join them as I had my Chi Gung class booked, and I wasn't prepared to miss it. I receive so much I need from it for health and well being. I no longer take pleasure sitting in a noisy echoing room straining to hear and engage in conversation while eating a meal I think I could do better at home. 

It's a well intended idea, but for me it doesn't work. In fact, I find it stressful. Conversation requires proper attention, whether one is eating or not. The ambiance of modern restaurants I've come across works against the genuine intention to talk over a shared meal. The noise means you have to shout. Give me a home setting for fellowship any time. Call me anti-social, but the value of being retired is not having to do everything others assume must be done.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment