Sunday 5 January 2014

Epiphany Sunday farewell

Clare and I went to the eight o'clock Eucharist at St Catherines before breakfast and helping Rachel pack everything ready to depart. As her Mac is currently unserviceable, I've given her my little HP 11.6" travelling laptop to take back with her. It's been a constant companion in my travels over the past three years - Canada, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, North Wales, Kenilworth. I think I may miss it. O wonder if I shall get along as well with the new 14" touchscreen machine - less eye strain hopefully.

Last night I discovered Libre Office wasn't working, possibly due to an installation error when I updated a few days ago, or else something I did when removing all my data to make way for hers. So be it, I set about downloading and re-installing afresh, but the TalkTalk Broadband internet connection was so erratic, stopping and starting as it often does in the evening and at night, that the installation file download failed twice, and then a third time while acquiring a copy of Foxit Reader. After a half hour wasted waiting for downloads to throw up error messages, I looked in my new laptop's download folder and found a copy of Libre Office I could transfer and use to re-install, and all was well.

We left in reasonable time and arrived at Thatcham in good time for a fine Sunday dinner of roast lamb, followed by trifle. We made our goodbyes and headed back down the M4 while there was enough light for Clare to drive half the distance. As soon as we were home and fed, Clare took down the cards and un-decorated the Christmas tree. No point in waiting for the real Epiphany day tomorrow, now that our magic month of family togetherness is over, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment