Monday 13 January 2014

Rain in Spain on the plain

I got up late, and being in a somewhat secluded apartment, it was only when I left for the church office that I realised it was overcast and raining. It doesn't happen all that often around here. You can tell by the way the roads and pavements don't drain efficiently, and leave surface water puddles everywhere. It's not worth the extra effort to improve water run-off, as it doesn't rain for long, and dries up remarkably quickly, to the eyes of anyone used to the kind of rainfall we normally get in Britain.

After a few hours tuning in and catching up with the round of chaplaincy affairs, the rain abated so I went out in search of the new chaplain's house, recently purchased and now in the process of being equipped for use. I had a rough idea of where the housing area in question was located, and found it easily. The plan is to have it ready by the end of February when the short lease on the present apartment expires. Then, Clare and I will have the challenge of a trial occupation to iron out all the issues that arise when a new house is commissioned for use. 

It was good to have tea with Jim and Della on my way back to the office, and learn about two local Beléns, created by the same parishioner, worth a visit before Candlemass. Then, back to the office to book flights to and from home before bargain offers run out. Church treasurer Val arrived for session with the book-keeper bringing me a handful of wonderfully ripe avocados from her garden tree. What a tasty treat to accompany a supper of one of my favourite tapa dishes - white broad beans with jamón.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment