Sunday 11 January 2015

Gloomy Sunday

The last time I walked to and from St Nicholas Kenilworth for the eight o'clock Communion service, two weeks ago, was in darkness. Today, all of Abbey Fields on the way to church was visible in the twilight before sunrise, which occurred as the Gospel of Christ's Baptism was being read. St Nicholas does have stained glass windows, but in the south aisle, there's more plain glass than decorative, so on a good weather day, the warmth and colour of the rising sun adds a fresh dimension of beauty to the interior of the church. About twenty of us attended, unusually more men than women, I noticed. A lady sitting in front of me greeted me after the service, remembering me from previous visits. A retired cleric celebrated, but the Vicar was at the door greeting people and handing out leaflets afterwards.

We had a long family breakfast, then I did some 'tech support' jobs on a couple of laptops, before we set off for Bristol to visit Amanda in the afternoon. It was already getting dark by the time we arrived there. After early sunshine, grey cloud descended and shrouded our journey, making the day seem even shorter. 

My resolve to get up earlier every day and enjoy all of the daylight on offer rarely holds up as my sleep pattern seems so variable these days in which life is less well structured by events. I hunger for more daylight hours at this time of year, or at least less gloom in this cloud laden land.

No comments:

Post a Comment