Wednesday 29 April 2015

Shop Eucharist

A brisk half hour walk down into the centre of town this morning under a bright sunny sky, to get to the church shop in Calle Malaga to celebrate the midweek Eucharist. There were a dozen of us, and it was a nice quiet and relaxed occasion, with several faces familiar from my two previous visits. After a cup of coffee together next door in Rosie's Bar, I walked back to the house, uncertain whether or not the photocopier man had understood that I would be there if he came on Wednesday by eleven thirty. He didn't show up, but never mind. He was due to come from Cartama, which is a good hour's drive from here, so I wasn't surprised.

Walking the length of the main shopping street, I was struck by the large number of triangular white sailcloth canvases over the street, suspended from the building top storeys, 
I imagine this is to give shade in the really hot months of the year, but it's also attractive to behold. It could also be a way to deter the vast population of swifts and swallows I've seen on previous visits diving almost to ground level as they forage for insects in the streets. This could be most un-nerving to visitors. It's not that they attack anyone, but their high speed aerobatics must be very confusing for the unwary shopper. The last time I recall seeing streets shaded in this manner was in the Grand Soukh in Damacus twenty years ago, where the canvases had never been dark in colour to judge by the state of them. I wonder what it's like there now?

No comments:

Post a Comment