Thursday 16 April 2015

Visit from Romania

I took Clare over to Llanrumney this morning to have her hair done, and while I was waiting for her, visited Curry's PC World on Newport Road to check out the latest kit and special offers. Nothing of interest, but it's a way of killing time. After I'd taken her home I went into town to the National Museum to meet with Dr Laura Ciobanu from Bucharest. This must be the third time we've met during one of her short stay visits to Cardiff. We talk about our respective work and families. Her English is excellent, and she enjoys meeting and chatting with a variety of English speakers to extend her ability.

As she said in an email that she hoped to attend a festa at St Nicholas' Greek Orthodox Church tomorrow, I gave her a copy of a bi-lingual English and Greek translation of the Liturgy of St John Crysostom, which I've had for the past fifty years. Another interesting register of English language usage, reflected in that old and formal translation, I thought it would be of interest to her. She brought me a small florally decorated ceramic cross from home, and a huge Romanian Easter cake, as she did last time. It was so big that half went into the freezer for future consumption. There's enough for us to enjoy meanwhile, up to the time I leave. I tastes great with white wine, I discovered, when I was making a risotto for supper.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment