Saturday 11 April 2015

Three score years and ten

Apart from a couple of local shopping trips to pick up forgotten elements of my birthday meal menu, I was able to spend much of the day cooking at a leisurely pace. Earlier in the day I received an email from her with a little video she'd shot and edited, featuring Grandpa and Grandma (disguised as teddy bears). So imaginative. Clare went out to collect a chocolate cheese cake with orange coulis ordered from The Cook Shop in King's road. Kenilworth contingent arrived mid-afternoon, bearing a birthday cake Rhiannon baked and decorated with a figure of her guitar playing grandpa all on her own. A very impressive effort for an eleven year old. 
I cooked two dishes for tapa portion starters - green lentils and chorizo, then a risotto with mushrooms samphire and smoked trout. I was very pleased with the outcome. Then, I baked the salmon in foil at a low temperature, with black grapes and strawberries stuffed inside - no condiments, to let the flavour of the salmon with the fruit speak for itself. The sauce I made to go with it was made of red pepper, strawberries, onions and garlic. Owain arrived at six and the last phase of cooking got started, and was on the table by seven. Right on time. We took our time, enjoying the various wines brought or provided and sharing a guitar duet with Anto. It was just the sort of celebration I'd hoped for - homey, relaxed.

Seventy already. It's hard to believe, expect when I'm tired and under the weather. I'm so fortunate to enjoy good health, a happy family, and opportunities to do things I love most in life. So blessed. People wonder why I'm still keen to continue in voluntary ministry, disinclined to wind down and take more extended leisure. It's great to be able to give back, having received so much in my three score years and ten.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment