Wednesday 24 June 2015

St John the Baptist's day

After my late night walk, I slept remarkably well, and arrived for the midweek Eucharist punctually. To my delight and surprise, John and Carol Le Page from St Andrew's Chaplaincy, Costa del Sol East were there, having driven up from Benalmadena for a day trip, with the aim of joining us and a brief reunion. They were always present for the midweek Eucharist in Fuengirola, and John is a part of the ministry team working so hard to keep everything running normally during the interregnum. It made  the service extra special for me, in fact it made my day.

Most of the shops in Nerja were closed as today is a public holiday, especially desirable if you've spent the night on the beach waiting for the dawn. Panaderias and small grocery stores were open for business as usual as they often are on a Sunday when all else is closed. For this I was grateful, having almost run out of fruit.
 
After lunch I went through the photos I took last night. Half of them were useless and the rest were a mixed bag, giving a fair impression of the atmosphere, but lacking in sharpness of focus and detail. It's not surprising, giving the low light levels, far better than what was possible with an entry level camera in today's market, as I was reminded when I was asked by a fellow reveller to take a photo of them in front of the bonfire. 

The little purse camera struggled to adjust itself to the environment even though it was set to snap a night time scene. It refused to work first time and only on second try did I get a result. Getting good low light photos without flash requires far more expensive and up to date hardware than I can afford. It's still worth the effort of trying to squeeze the best from a mid range two year old camera like the Sony HX50. There can still be occasional surprises among the results.For what they're worth, my last night photos are here

No comments:

Post a Comment