Saturday 18 July 2015

Plastic bag tribute

Apart from a brief excursion get replenish food stocks, I spent Friday home alone, avoiding the heat, mostly working at DISC intranet updates. Often a spate of new information comes in after a monthly Radio Users Group and it's in everyone's interests to sort and post it quickly, and right now having work to do is a good distraction. After three weeks of Clare being here with me it's not so easy to revert to solitude. I'm starting to look forward to next Thursday's home flight.

This afternoon, I ventured out in the heat to replenish the stock of cerveza sin alcool which is one thing Spain does well in several varieties and at reasonable prices. There's nothing like a refreshing beer in this hot 'n humid atmosphere, preferably without alcoholic side effects. Many standard soft fizzy drinks seem to be a cocktail of artificial ingredients plus an overdose of sugar or sweetener, ruining the taste buds and who knows what else.

I took with me some empty jars and wine bottles to take to the bottle bank which I pass on my way to the supermarket, still using the same plastic bag that I brought from home with spare shoes in it, a bag acquired in Woodbridge Suffolk last summer, at a splendidly up-market Adnams brewery shop.  I've used it at least every other day for bottle carrying and/or shopping over the past three months. As I was packing my purchases at the Mercadona checkout, the handle parted irreparably from the bag. 
I thought it was worthy of this photo tribute after over fifty heavy goods deployments here in Spain, in between being rolled up and consigned to a spare pocket. Also dozens more uses over the previous nine months back home in Wales."100% Biodegradable ... and of course reusable." it says on the bottom. There's nothing to say where it was made, or by whom. I'd love them to know how much this travelling companion has been appreciated as a sustainable consumer item.
 

1 comment:

  1. Lovely blog, by the grace of God, everything has a purpose.
    Thank you for sharing and enlightening us.
    love, light and blessings xx

    ReplyDelete