Sunday 26 July 2015

Weather for ducks

Enough of a break in the rain yesterday to enable us to walk from Cardiff Bay across the Barrage to Penarth, and watch the cormorants fishing successfully in the weir - to slick and quick for me to get a photo of them with catch in mouth. A keen eyed child could spot a bird gobbling a fish faster than I could focus on it. This was my best shot.
This morning I awoke early and it was raining heavily. I got soaked walking to and from St Catherine's where I celebrated the 8.00am Eucharist for just one one person, undeterred by by the downpour. The rain had stopped by the time I walked back to church to celebrate the 10.30 Eucharist, at which I preached about natural abundance as a feature of the biblical world view, in the context of the story of the feeding of the multitude, today's Gospel. 

The congregation was much diminished by the holiday season, yet there were still several families with small children children present. I was delighted to learn that the Parish Messy Church sessions are bringing in dozens of children with their parents, and even more delighted to hear that members of Calvary Baptist Church on Cowbridge road are sharing in the venture as well.

It so happened that the first-fruits of the Church garden's green beans were on offer for a donation over coffee afterwards, so we had these for lunch along with broad beans from last week's veggie box. Such a pleasure! 

After lunch, rain notwithstanding, we drove over to Bristol to see Amanda, glad to find her in good spirits, and to chat with James, after the challenge of the first year of his computer studies course, justifably pleased with his results. On the return trip, the sun broke through the clouds and warmed the car as we crossed the Severn estuary, but the consolation was short lived. More rain to dampen the week ahead I'm afraid.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment