Thursday 16 July 2015

Parting pasta

After a lazy start and long breakfast, it was almost midday by the time we paid the bill and quit the Parador. Clare dind't need to check in until three, so we decided to make our way to the sea side at Guadalmar. It was too hot to walk into the Guadalhorce river estuary nature reserve, so we went to a beach chirunguito for a drink and some shade to pass the time. After Clare had organised her baggage for travel and dealt with a blood blister on her toe, we drove out through the urbanizacion, and I saw an Italian restaurant, the Pizzeria Frascati, where we might get a decent lunch not at airport prices. 

We had an hour to spare, but Clare was doubtful they could feed us without putting us under time pressure. There wen't many people eating, I thought it worth the risk. For once I was right. In half an hour, we'd had drinks, and eaten one salad and a plate of spaghetti between us. A half portion was just enough, and we walked up to the Vueling bag check in right on time - a mix of luck and judgement!

By the time I arrived back at Church House, Clare was texting me to say she was about to board her flight. Needless to say the place feels empty and quiet without her, just as hot as ever, and a load of washing to catch up on.

A poster I saw in Guadalmar reminded me that today is the feast of Nuestra Señora, Virgen del Carmen, the fieshmen's fiesta. Here they are, taking our Lady for a sea dip.
I'd hoped to seek out a local celebration and join in, but as they tend to start a little too late after the journey, I didn't feel like going out again. Maybe another time.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment