Wednesday 13 September 2017

Promenade sculptures

For the midweek BCP Communion this morning I anticipated tomorrow's celebration of Holy Cross Day, thinking of Ty Mawr Convent and of Amanda whose birthday it is. The American lady with a delightful small daughter were the only congregation. She told me afterwards she had five other children, ranging down from eighteen to four years old. The little one came and asked me confidently if she could help me after the service so I said yes. Not only did she put the candles out with the snuffer, but took everything from the credence table into the vestry for me, comfortable with simple sacristy duties as such a tender age! This is a side of 'godly play' you don't often see.

While in church I checked out the portable sound system to see if it could play CDs. It was a Hi-fi stack from the days when double cassette decks were all the rage. It worked fine, but there was no CD player, although there was a stereo port in the back of it through which CD audio could be passed to the system. I'd been told there was a CD player as part of the church's public address system, but I couldn't find the key for it to check. With the funeral tomorrow and no certainty of being able to find out and practice using this, I decided the best option would be to go and buy an adaptor that would enable me to connect the system to a smartphone via a headphone jack. At least, this would make it possible to stream digitised music.

I walked to the Metro Center in Montreux, bought the correct adaptor and some much needed new rechargeable batteries for the church's wireless microphone, then walk on to the small marina at Clarens which also contains lake swimming bath facilities, a lovely walk of 4km from Territet. The continuous lakeside path from Montreux to Vevey has flower bedecked lakeside walls, and through Montreux commune, there are dozens of sculptures along the lakeside, some conventional and some weird. I now have photos over five dozen of them. It's a remarkable gallery of contemporary public art works. You can find my photo album here.

No comments:

Post a Comment