Wednesday 27 September 2017

Final day in Territet

I woke up early this morning, and when I got out of bed found I had difficulty straightening up due to a sharp pain in the vertebrae at waist level. I'd slept awkwardly and not realised it. It's been with me all day, and I had to be unusually careful and deliberate in moving during the celebration of the 1662 BCP midweek Holy Communion service. Today we were five adults, one small child, and two dogs. We mused about the possibility of having a special column for dog attendees in the church register of services. After this, we said our farewells, and I took my alb into the house to pack in my suitcase. Then I set about writing and sending an end-of-stay report to Archdeacon Adele and Jean in the diocesan office. Another assignment comes to an end, so enjoyable because of reunions with old Geneva friends. Leaving for my plane early tomorrow morning isn't going to be easy with this creaky back of mine.

I've had to be careful through the day, with packing, cleaning, tidying and shopping, though it's not so bad when I'm walking. I walked into town to shop to buy some domestic items to replace those we'd used, then later walked to Chateau de Chillon, as the sun was heading towards the horizon. The colours of autumn are gently revealing themselves, as apart from the occasional day of rain, there have been no spells of chill wind or frost to accelerate the process. Most of the snow on the alpine peaks has receded to higher levels. There's no sign of the lakeside grape harvest starting any time soon. The high sided trailers and tankers going along the main road towards Villeneuve are destined for vineyards much further up the Rhone Valley, I think.

Now, with the bins emptied and everything in the kitchen tidied away in its proper place, it's time to get to bed, early enough that it won't matter if I have a restless night.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment