Sunday 29 April 2018

Surprise Sunday concert

The Chaplaincy held its AGM today, following a joint service for the St George's and Velez Malaga congregations with Doreen celebrating and me preaching. I was meant to have a confirmation class afterwards but one of the candidates was obliged to work and couldn't come, so I handed over my teaching notes which I give out at the end, and we'll have a catch-up Q&A session next week. Apart from putting everything away and helping to arrange the furniture for the meeting in church, there was no more for me to do. As a locum priest, I'm not obliged to attend such meetings as I have no part to play, so I was free to return to the apartment and cook lunch.

I went out for my late afternoon paseo around the port, and then into the Old Town where a spotted a modest poster advertising a series of concerts by a visiting Norwegian choir from Oslo in four different city centre churches, with them singing today at the Cathedral evening Mass. I'm not normally inclined to hear Mass in church other than the one I belong to, twice on the same weekend, but the thought of hearing a Missa Cantata appealed, so I went along.

The choir was a mixed adult group of two dozen, and sang from within the huge 16th century Quire in the middle of the vast vaulted building. I gathered from chatting to one of the basses afterwards that normally they sing in conventionally sized modern parish church, so this was a challenge of a different order. Their sound was soft, sweet and mellow and if they seemed to be a little on the quiet side, it's a consequence of the size of the nave in the middle of which which the Quire is located. No amplification, but beautifully clear, and quite a different sound to what might normally be regarded as a bright vigorous 'Cathedral choir' sound, in the UK or further south.

They opened with a Jubilate Deo, and curiously used the first half of 'Locus Iste' as a Gospel Acclamation. Sadly, they didn't sing a Mass setting, except the Agnus Dei during Communion, and as an Offertory, sang an English version of the Lord's Prayer. They finished off with something in Norwegian. It wasn't a Missa Cantata after all, but nevertheless an unusual occasion, and I'm glad I was there. The same priest presided as last night. I found I was a little better able to tune in to his preaching voice, though still not able to do more than get the gist of what he was saying. Much work on Spanish comprehension still to do.

In the south transept a trona had been planted bearing the statue of Nuestra Señora de la Victoria. It was beautifully decorated with flowers and lit candles, and afterwards many people visited and took photos. It wasn't set up for devotional purposes, however, just parked there. I believe that it had been brought in procession during the afternoon, as I don't recall having seen it there at last night's Mass. I understand that the diocese of Malaga and the city have Nuestra Señora de la Victoria as a patron saint as well as the Dos Martires, so this appearance might be the result of a procession earlier.

About a kilometre away from Nuestra Señora de la Victoria is the huge 17th century Minor Basilica of Nuestra Señora de la Victoria, established in the 16th century, then rebuilt, on the sight where the forces of Ferdinand and Isabella camped during the siege of the city which resulted in its liberation from the Moors. Success was attributed to 'Our Lady of Victories'. Several of the key cofradias that maintain Semana Santa observations are based at this church.

No comments:

Post a Comment