Wednesday 18 April 2018

Surprise comings and goings

Nobody came to share the midweek Eucharist at St George's this morning. I prayed the Ministry of the Word quietly alone, while a few tourists entered, looked around signed the visitors book and left. Sadly, it's rare for anyone to come in, sit and pray. Perhaps some do, out in the quiet corners of the churchyard. It's beautiful, and full of birdsong. The high wall flanking Avenida de Pries down the hill shields the churchyard traffic noise.

After praying, I stocked up on food at Mercadona, returned to cook lunch, as spent time working on my Sunday sermon. With St George's Day on Monday, I have to weave this extra golden thread into the Paschaltide celebration, which takes pride of place on an Eastertide Sunday, even over a Feast of Title. Having a weekday Patronal Festival celebration, however desirable isn't practicable with such a scattered congregation. I'm just hoping people will make the effort to turn out for the Confirmation on the evening of Ascension Day, other than candidates' families, both to welcome the Bishop and support new members. 

Late afternoon, on my way to stock up on bottled water, I walked to Playa Malagueta and saw over in the port one of the very large cruise ships was docked, Panama registered MSC Fantasia catering for 4,000 passengers, and a third of a kilometre long. Unfortunately, I wasn't carrying a camera. The ship's siren gave several hoots. I wondered if it had just arrived. I completed my errand, and then one more to collect a package from church, then returned to the port with a camera, only to discover that the siren had been a departure signal. The ship had departed for Valencia according to the Marine Traffic Website, and was nowhere to be seen. In a couple of hours that had passed she was already heading past Motril to the Costa Almeria. Life's like that in a busy port city, and full of surprises.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment