Wednesday 11 April 2018

Unusual birthday

Cloudy skies, wind and rain, and nothing much of note going on since Sunday. Today's my birthday, and still nothing much going on, except for calls and ecards from friends and family. I celebrated the Eucharist this morning. Only Rosella attended, but out in the churchyard a large party of exuberant school children were doing the cemetery history trail and having fun. There have been gusty winds through the day, but calmer this evening. At least there's been blue skies littered with fully cloud and sunshine making it a bit more like proper April day.

After a visit to the bank and to Mercadona for supplies, I cooked a chicken curry lunch for one, and drank most of a bottle of Cariñena Riserva 2014, inexpensive but agreeable, and followed this with a siesta on the couch. It was gone six when I went out for my daily paseo along the quay and around the Old Town. Today I was a man with a mission, charged with finding a supply of suitable tape with which to bind the spines of broken hymn books, an interesting Spanish vocabulary challenge. I was unsuccessful at an art material shop, which didn't carry anything suitable, but found just what I know works, industrial duct tape, in the Chinese supermarket behind Mercado Atarazanas. Amazing what you can find there if you hunt in the right place, with or without the vocabulary..

Also a fresh supply of Communion wafers was needed. There are two shops at either end of Calle Carretera. The first was out of stock, following Easter demand, I guess, but the other delivered all I wanted. I enjoy making myself understood easily in Spanish, even if my comprehension of what is said to me can be a little hit or miss on time. But being old, I can pretend I'm a bit deaf, and repeat the question.

In the evening I chatted with Kath and Anto, also Owain on WhatsApp. Rachel sent me a song she'd written, as she did on my birthday last year. No many Dads can be that lucky!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment