Thursday 12 April 2018

Walking after the rain

As later in the day more rain was forecasted, I went out early to get the duct tape I spotted yesterday in the Chinese supermarket to use for hymnbook repair. In a shop nearby I found and bought one of those metal veggie steamer baskets which open out like flower petals to accommodate variable size loads and fit inside a pan. Being economical on hob space as well as gas, it makes cooking easier to manage and more efficient, if I'm organised. We use a steamer all the time at home, but so far I've seen few of any design in the shops.

Sure enough, it rained most of the afternoon, and I did some more work on my sermon for Sunday, but then it cleared up, and the sky in the hours before sunset was on times dramatic and spectacular. I went out again and walked to the port, the pavements still glistening wet and strewn with puddles. Few people were out for their evening paseo and the beach was almost deserted. I spotted just one mum with her toddler, walking along the sea shore, and the chirungitos were all closed. Large grey and black clouds still rolled around across the bay, and I spotted a small chink in the clouds near the horizon where there was a near circular patch of rainbow colours. Sadly it didn't photograph well.

Down in the port, at the quay near the lighthouse, where the three ocean going tugs regularly dock, the naval coast patrol vessel stationed here was in port. As I passed by, a petty officer and a rating we standing on deck awaiting the order to begin the customary Retreat flag lowering ceremony that ends the ship's day.
The last time a saw this was on board the minesweeper HMS Monmouth on her visit to Cardiff when, as local Vicar I was United Services Mess Chaplain, and an invited guest. That was much more formal, with a band too, but it's a recognisable navy ritual that transcends nationality.

Docked at the Palmeria de las Sorpresas quay tonight is the MV Corinthian, a hundred berth cruise ship which not only travels the Mediterranean, but also itineraires around the British Isles, Arctic Circle and Great Lakes, and even some river cruises on different occasions.

As I walked back to the apartment through the Old Town, the restaurants and bars were starting to fill up with evening visitors. As it was cool after the rain, however, the atmosphere was subdued. More rain to come tomorrow, alas. Even so, I hope cruise goers will disembark for a look around and not just get taken up to Granada or Ronda for an outing. If it rains down here, it's more than likely to be raining even more inland, and the won't know what they've missed.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment