Sunday 20 May 2018

Promise of the Spirit fulfilled

There was something very satisfying about celebrating the Eucharist at St George's this morning as Rosella announced the appointment of Canon Paul Wignall as Chaplain. Just perfect for Pentecost Sunday as it enable me to preach on the many ways in which the Spirit works in our lives and in that of the whole church.

There was a happy and relieved atmosphere, during the after-church fellowship. I found myself on the receiving end of appreciative remarks, for having supported the broad conviction of many in the chaplaincy that it was better to look for the priest who'd be happy to be planted and flourish in the appointed dwelling, rather than live with the anxiety of hunting for a costly alternative that fills rather more than the necessary requirements. 

Fr Paul certainly understood this and was willing to take things as he finds them, and work from there. Some thought I'd been successful in persuading him about the job and the apartment, but truth to tell, we talked the same language about mission and ministry, like kindred spirits. He was already sensing a new adventure ahead. To me, this is how the Spirit works, so often. God provides the right place, at the right time, and all else unfolds.

Afterwards, I was taken out for a farewell lunch and final chat, and chose sardinas for the second time in the past fortnight. Again disappointingly they were far too over-salted for my palate which detracted from their delicate taste. To be avoided in future for sure. I'll buy and cook them on my own terms next time. But never mind, the company was good, and the house Rioja was good.

After parting company, I returned to the apartment and started the final clean and tidy jobs, with the first of two loads of bed linen and towels. The effort made me feel quite tired so I only walked down to the port and back. In the cruise terminal, Marella Spirit, a regular visitor had arrived again early morning, also at much the same time, one of the newest cruise ships in the Med., the Seabourn Ovation, launched just nine months ago. I guess it was worth the effort, just for that. Lots more to do tomorrow to be ready to depart before dawn on Tuesday.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment