Wednesday 2 May 2018

The writing on the wall

Another Wednesday morning, again nobody turned up at St George's to share in the Eucharist with me so I prayed the Ministry of the Word on my own. As I was about to leave, I met a couple of men on the steps outside, a father and son. Their accent told me they were South Walians like me, from Porthcawl. I soon learned. They were visiting from Benalmadena, where Dad lives, and had come to St George's to place flowers in the columbarium niche in the church nave south wall, where the old man's wife's cremated remains were laid to rest. Soon, he's moving back to Porthcawl for the rest of his days, after decades spent here. It's become too lonely for him. Glad I was there to wish him well on his return home. 

On my afternoon paseo, I returned to Calle Alcazabilla to get a photo of the tower like Ben Gabirol interpretation centre, which I'd omitted to take on Monday. On the wall of the patio opposite, in the lattl area still know by its mediaeval name La Juderia, a commemorative plaque had recently been fixed.

There's more of a story to tell than a summary that speaks of her as a holocaust survivor and witness against anti-semitism. Born in Romanian Transylvania, deported to this extermination camp at 14, she lost most of her family, but survived. After the war she lived in Canada and Venezuela, before moving to Spain in 1965. In 1985 she took legal action for defamation against an ex Waffen SS officer, who was published holocaust denier. She eventually won, the matter ending up in Spain's Constitutional Court.

The ensuing judgement in 1991 set a precedent for the reform of Spain's Penal Code on matters of anti-semitism and holocaust denial. It was an admirable achievement with far reaching impact in these troubling times when we're witnessing a global resurgence of anti-semitism. The truth will out, sooner or later, but needs steadfast support to prevent it being suppressed or forgotten. 'If the echo of their voices fades away, we will perish', as it says in the writing on the wall. 

I found that luxury superyacht Sea Dream was back in port, picking up its select small complement of passengers again, and nearby was berthed Madeira registered 'Ocean Majesty', which is a larger high end of market cruise ship, with up to 620 passengers and 250 crew. In the cruise terminal was berthed another of the modern hybrid sale/diesel electric cruise ships, like the Club Med series but with one less mast, Bahamas registered 'Wind Star', which gave its name to an exclusive cruise line. This caterer for just 148 passengers. Curious that there should be a collection of different sized high end luxury cruise ships in port at the same time. Is there a reason, or is it a coincidence, I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment