Saturday 27 October 2018

Encouraging signs

Clare went off to catch a train to Worcester yesterday afternoon, where she's staying overnight with Gail, then going with her to a community choir rehearsal in Cheltenham for a 'Carols and Capers' concert with folk rock ensemble Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band on 20th December. She came home two hours later, having discovered when she rang up to warn Gail of a delayed train that the rehearsal is Sunday afternoon. Somehow she'd booked it into her diary wrongly, ages ago.

The past few days have passed quietly, with walks to the shops and one around Pontcanna Fields, and another around Thompson's Park and Llandaff Fields, going twice my recent usual distance. This past few months, I've kept walking most days, though without making much extra effort, going only as far as I've felt inclined to, or comfortable with, in the light of my discomfort level. My recent daily bout of inflammation has diminished noticeably, judging by the frequency of dressing changes. This contributes to 'feeling better', as it means less tricky exertion and physical contortion to perform this task. Perhaps I'm a bit more skilled at doing this, and not so distressed at doing this, now I have developed an effective disciplined routine. One way or another, I believe more exercise does me good.

This evening, I watched the second part of the Gladbeck Hostage crisis, even though I'd read about its tragic ending. Presuming it faithfully represented the behaviour of mass media journalists and cameramen at the time, it really was shocking compared to nowadays, with complete disregard for Health and Safety, let alone competent handling of the public security situation. Mind you, today the burden risk taking on the part of photographers is much more widely spread with so many members of the public using their camera phones to capture film footage at close hand even before the media people are on the scene. The risks are higher too, as murderously minded criminals and hostage takers seem much more willing to kill or injure anyone recording or obstructing their evil deeds.

I wonder how we'll look back on this in thirty years from now? Bother, I'm unlikely to be here to find out. But so far, I haven't lost interest, neither has my sister June, who says much the same about taking an interest in all that's going on, despite ailments and complaints, she's up to speed with much that's going on in the news, via LBC Radio and TV programmes.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment