Wednesday 3 October 2018

Homesickness in reverse

Yesterday, I spent quietly at home resting and recovering. A call from the surgery offering me an early appointment with my GP Dr Jordan this morning. She told me that Sunday's hospital blood tests showed that the infection count continues to reduce, and a feel this is corroborated by daily reduction in discomfort and wound weeping. Very much at its own pace, my innards are starting to function as our Maker intended once more. And I am feeling most grateful.

Clare noticed that the central locking system and electric window on the Polo worked as expected from the passenger side but not the driver side, so she returned it to the garage, where a connection fault was diagnosed. We'll get it back in a couple of days. It's rather strange not to see it outside.

I while away the time watching Channel 4 Walter Presents euro-crimmies on my tablet, cooking some of our main meals and taking short walks. I'm committed to a week of inactivity and not making plans, doing only what I feel I have energy for, to prove to myself that I can achieve some measure of peace without always pushing myself to be engaged in 'meaningful' activity.

I think about Spain a lot, and places there that I love. It's like homesickness in reverse.  Only occasionally do I look at any of my thousands of photos, as they remind me that miss the climate, the social ambience and walking by the sea. After all, over the last few years I've spent three to five months on locum duty there. Maintaining daily Duo Lingo drills keeps me going ad interim. It could be a while before I get to travel south again.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment