Tuesday 19 February 2019

Requiem for Mac

An early phone call from Martin this morning was a disturbing disruption to the day. He was phoning from the hospital emergency surgical unit, where he was undergoing pre-operative checks after being diagnosed with a ruptured bowel. He faces a colonostomy today with great urgency. He's endured ulcerative colitis for many years, and even if a repair to the burst could be made, developing bowel cancer would he a risk. So removal and life with a stoma bag is inevitable. We can only pray for a blessed outcome.



I went into town late this morning to attend the funeral of Canon Mac Ellis, my predecessor as Vicar of St John's City Parish Church. As I was setting out I had a phone call from my friend Martin to say that he was in the Royal Gwent Hospital awaiting an emergency operation following a nightmare couple of days of pain, until he was diagnosed with a perforated bowel. If all goes well he expects to leave hospital with a permanent colostomy bag and no lower bowel. He's seven years younger than I and he was in my prayers as we were praying for and saying goodbye to Mac. 

There were about a hundred and fifty people present, a dozen robed clergy and more, including a retired Bishop, in the congregation. It was a traditionalist Solemn High Mass of Requiem, with a sung setting of the Ordinary of the Mass which had been written by Fr Mac himself. It was destined to be a long service, so I didn't robe, but rather stood at the back instead for the hour and a quarter duration, in order to pray pain free. 

It was a beautiful well ordered and serious occasion such as he would have loved, and certainly have arranged for others in his time. I didn't know him, but he was a respected role model to a good number of old school Anglican High Church clergy, and this was reflected in the congregation which gathered to mourn his passing. I admit this made me wonder how I'd be remembered when my time came. I'm not strict traditionalist, but think of myself as liberal, ecumenical and missionary catholic in conviction. How this is perceived and understood by others I dread to think. Vague I wish-washy I rather suspect. You have to be true to your experience of life in faith, however, and not be concerned about what others think of you, especially those with passionately held views of their own.

I saw and got to speak to several colleagues and associates from the city centre whom I haven't seen for a long while, but I was constrained for time afterwards by a wound clinic appointment, and had to walk briskly back to Canton to get there punctually for two o'clock.

In the evening I watched the last episode of 'The River', which had a few more surprises revealing an unusually complex story of conflicting needs and loyalties, guilt and shame. I've noticed in a few series of crimmies I've watched in recent months an effort to expose the complex moral dilemmas in which people find themselves and are either driven to commit crimes or are crime victims. It's a kind of narrative approach to ethical debate, and interesting to reflect upon. 

Kath arrived at nine after a day's band rehearsal. Sonrisa have been working on new songs to take out on a tour of concert gigs for school audiences, for which they have funding. It's an unusual move and one which promises to be challenging and exciting, working with young audiences. I'm so proud of her innovative and creative work, and can see Rhiannon following in her footsteps with natural ease and pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment