Thursday 14 February 2019

A cutting edge saints day to remember

The world many just think of this as St Valentine's day, but in the church calendar it's the feast of Saints Cyril and Methodius, apostles to the Slavs, brothers gifted Roman civil servants, sent by the Pope in the ninth century to evangelise on the eastern frontiers of the Roman empire. Cyril learned to speak the  language of the Slav tribes and invented what is still known as Cyrillic alphabet, based on Greek and Latin scripts to turn speech into writing. They translated scripture and liturgy into the written texts known as Old Church Slavonic. Methodius was a bishop. Cyril remains a founding hero throughout the slavic cultural world, yet both were laid to rest in Rome's San Clemente basilica, which I well remember visiting over forty years ago.

So, all in all, a memorable day for an afternoon surgery appointment as far as I'm concerned, though any days would have been just as good after a six month wait. Clare delivered me to Llandough at noon. I was taken to a ward and interrogated by nurses and the duty anaesthetist before meeting the surgeon. The charge nurse told me that she's a Sunday School teacher at Llandaff Cathedral when she home for the weekend. A nice co-incidence.

The head of the surgical team excused himself from attending to me on account of 'other duties' and much to my surprise and delight, Ms Julie Cornish introduced herself to me. She was fully briefed, having read all the notes and my two letters to the boss man, and explained what was going to be done to me. Today's procedure starts sorting out the internal damage, draining the wound tracks. There'll be a further procedure in two months time to complete the repair work. She was honest with me in stating that there's only a 50% change of a fully successful outcome, and that further measures using other techniques might be required if not.

I was taken down to the operating theatre around three and returned to the ward three quarters of an hour later, having calmly drifted off into unconsciousness, and waking up later as if coming around from an afternoon nap. No nausea or dizziness, vital signs stable, no pain, nothing to worry about. Before Clare collected me at five, I was treated to a cup of black coffee and a turkey sandwich, and walked out feeling steady on my feet and reasonably comfortable.

Clare cooked us huge tuna steaks for supper, eaten with relish, as my last proper meal had been a seven o'clock breakfast. The new wounds leaked a fair amount of blood, as the dressing applied was loose and needed an absorbent back up pad. All a bit messy, but never mind, I found I didn't need any pain killer to see me through the evening. In as much as I can sense a change in my condition at this stage, I'd say that it's easier to sit without stressing my perinaeum. There's a peculiar kind of pain associated with pressure on the core of the nervous system. This is a great relief. I think I will sleep well tonight.

So much for me thinking this would be a straightforward repair job! It's been a positive beginning however, and fortunately my body is still good at healing itself and I have the benefit of acupuncture to help maintain the equilibrium of my immune system and energy levels. I don't need to believe in it or know how it works, I have the evidence now. Four courses of antibiotics needed in the last four months of 2018. Seven acupuncture treatments this year, and no new threat of infection.

Thank God for the surgical team, the nurses and my acupuncturist, all doing what they do best to get me back to health.

1 comment:

  1. Except that's no coincidence at all. Not in my book. Lots of love /Sara

    ReplyDelete