Thursday 23 May 2019

Electoral farce

Yesterday, I celebrated the Eucharist with seven others at St Catherine's in the morning. I had a phone call when I returned about officiating at a funeral the week after next, at the Vale Crematorium. Our friend Russell's funeral is there on the Saturday morning just before. A double slot has been booked for this, as the funeral ritual of the Anthroposophical Christian Community calls for more time. After this the Wake is being held in the Penarth Pier Pavilion. I imagine this idea would have given him much pleasure. 

After lunch I walked to an acupuncture treatment at the Natural Health Clinic, and then a walk around Pontcanna Fields. Recently, I've been feeling drained of energy, and walking for an hour has been an effort. This kind of treatment makes a difference I find, as it works on stimulating kidney function in this instance, and this seems to help disperse low level toxins in the blood which sap energy. It reminds me to put into practice lessons learned from Tai Chi / Chi Gung about massaging the kidneys and drinking lots of water. Things I'm at risk of forgetting. 

This morning, I celebrated the Eucharist at St John's for a dozen people, including Emma, who was pleased to sit in the congregation, saving her energies to officiate at a wedding following the service. On my way from church to the clinic for a wound dressing, I kept seeing unusually smartly dressed men in suits and ties, and women in glamorous outfits looking conspicuous among the everyday mix of shoppers and workers about their business. I wondered if this sight aroused curiosity among more mundane pedestrians?

The European elections take place today. Clare and I dispatched our postal votes a week ago. News talk is all of the likely majority of seats being taken by Farage's brexit party, a single issue movement taking seats they have no intention of occupying, but are dedicated to removing from the political map due to the UK's withdrawal from the EU. If further delays leads to the newly elected taking their seats, no doubt their presence and behaviour will end up causing offence due to the contempt they exhibit for European institutions. This fills me with disgust and shame.

In the evening another engaging episode of 'Berlin Station' on More Four. The story-line concerns the rise and rise of a populist far right party in Germany, encouraged by subversive conspirators inside and outside the country. The CIA is monitoring the situation and unofficially getting involved in trying to forestall a terrorism element in the equation, but elements in their own government may also be involved in the conspiracy. It's complex, but also very contemporary, written in and for the Trump era, even if he doesn't get mentioned by name. I think series two is quite an improvement on series one, which I found complex and hard to follow.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment