Friday 10 May 2019

Meeting the bird man of Pontcanna

I had an early clinic visit today, from which I came away with a different kind of dressing to try out, as regular stocks have still not been replenished, well maybe later is possible I suppose. I feel sorry for the nurses. I went to Berry's the butcher's in search of some fresh chicken to cook and freeze and came away with four huge legs, more than I expected to get, but it'll be good for 6-8 meals and fulfil the recommendation that I eat meat to promote tissue building. True or not it makes a change for me on a semi-vegan pescatarian diet these days.

Once I got home I realised I'd forgotten to visit the bank as intended, so I had to go out again, and once out, remembered those other shopping items which slipped my mind earlier. We make a list and keep it on the fridge, but usually I forget to look at it. I should make a to do list note on my phone, but can't be bothered. I make an effort to train my memory, which works well enough, as long as I'm not distracted.

I cooked the chicken pieces before lunch. Clare came back from her gym session with two big fresh tuna steaks, one of our favourites, so the chicken was left to cool before freezing later in the day, and we had dish for lunch instead. 

Later, I completed my postal voting form for the European election,  I decided to vote Lib Dem, to support candidates of the party that took an unequivocally clear pro-european stance as a matter of policy for many years. I popped our ballot envelopes in the posting box on my way to walk around Pontcanna Fields.

On the riverside path, a young woman seated on a bench enjoying the sun greeted me, as if she knew me. I think I recognised her, but am unsure from which part of my life. We chatted about the pleasures of the environment and bird life along the river. I started to tell her about 'Bird Man' whom I see regularly in the distance feeding the crows.
Within seconds the man himself appeared on the path, surrounded by a dozen or more birds, chasing the last remnants from his feed bag. As he passed, we engaged him in conversation. He told us that he walks both sides of the river daily and the crows spot him from afar and seek him out,. They recognise him even if he's riding a bike, regardless of what he's wearing or which bag he is carrying. I was so glad to have met him face to face at last.

As I approached Blackweir Bridge, I was thrilled to glimpse several swifts high above, wheeling around aerobatically as they fed on insects. Just to think, these birds would have been making their way up the Iberian Peninsula from Africa a few weeks ago. Summer is a-cumen in!

No comments:

Post a Comment