Thursday 8 August 2019

Caught out

I visited the wound clinic this morning to pick up some supplies, in preparation for our weekend trip to Ascot, where my cousin Lindsay is getting married for the first time in his late sixties. Earlier this year he was confirmed, having found his way to faith in his local CofE parish. I'm delighted for him on both accounts. I wasn't well enough to travel up to his confirmation, and am determined nothing will prevent me being there for his wedding. I've given them the 'Hospitality of Abraham' icon as a wedding present, to bless the home they are making together. It's one I've had and used in prayer for over fifty years. I think I brought home from Greece, but it's hard to remember now. To my mind it's a gift with a certain quality that doesn't come with one bought from a church supplier.

Rachel went for a hairdo in Rumney with Chris at lunch-time and I drove over there to collect her.  We were going to drive on to Newport and visit Martin then, but he texted me to say that he was in bed and unwell after an earlier surgical examination. Rather foolishly, I had omitted to take suitable cushions with me, to protect me from the evil effects of bucket car seats, and I paid for it with a very uncomfortable journey. It was a relief to drive straight home instead. Awkward pressure from the seat left me in pain and discomfort for the rest of the day. I was so annoyed with myself, given that I've made progress in recent weeks, in being able to sit without grief on most kinds of seat with the right protective buffer cushion, the exception being worn out railway carriage seats, of which there are many given the age of so much of rolling stock still in use. 

I'll have to be careful to take with me on Saturday cushions I need for travelling and banqueting. We're going by car, rather than train, to allow us more flexibility, as long as I'm confident I can sit for the required length of time. As the wound draws less attention to itself and its need to be pressure free it's easy to forget simple precautions. I have to plan, and avoid spontaneous impulse, as a matter of self protection. This doesn't come naturally to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment