Sunday 18 August 2019

One small landmark

Confident that I can now manage, I got up early today and went through my usual morning routine, to be out of the house and walking in good time to St John's to celebrate the nine o'clock Eucharist. Our St Padarn's pastoral placement student Peter preached, and did the same again when we both went to St Catherine's for the ten thirty. I had to listen to him carefully both times, and later on give a written assessment of his effort for himself and his tutor. I thought he acquitted himself very well. 

The day's scripture readings weren't easy. Earlier in the week, I looked through my sermon archive and was unable to find a sermon based on them. With time on my hands, I passed a few hours writing one to see what I could make of them, just for pleasure. Our different efforts reflect just a couple of many ways it's possible to approach preaching at the Eucharist. It's good to have the opportunity, all too rare for me these days, to pay attention to another preacher. It did me good. 

I was pleased to find I can do two normal Sunday services again and not be exhausted as a result. It's the first time for a year, I think, and it's very much a measure of how far I've come in getting through this 'thorn in the flesh' of mine.

Late afternoon, a walk along the Taff, then in the evening, a catch-up session with BBC iPlayer for all four episodes so far broadcasted of a new Danish terrorist kidnap hi-jack drama 'Below the Surface' series two. Did we get series one on telly? I really can't remember. We've had several crime series over the past couple of years exploiting the islamist terror plot them. I'm not sure how edifying this is or what's gained by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment