Sunday 25 August 2019

Full job satisfaction

An early start today with a nine o'clock Eucharist at St John's, a ten thirty at St Catherine's and then a two child baptism back at St John's at one, assisted in this by Ruth the Parish Mothers' Union Enrolling Member. There were thrice as many people in church for the Christenings than had been there for the two Eucharists. It says a lot about family and community loyalties towards the couple and their three kids.

The regular routine Eucharistic life of the church fails to inspire the same kind of loyalty. It's not tribal, however, but rests upon commitment to beliefs with a way of life, people are free to choose either to dissent from or adhere to. I shall wonder until the day I die how best to commend this kind of commitment to a choice of habit to all those who still find some kind of significance and identity through the ritual of baptism.

It was nearly two o'clock by the time I got back for lunch. Thankfully, I wasn't totally exhausted after such an active busy morning, but I made the most of a relaxing warm afternoon siesta, and didn't go out walking again. I didn't use the car this morning, but walked from one church to another. By the time I reached home I'd done over two and a half miles. Altogether a satisfying morning.

In the evening I watched an episode of the Italian detective series 'Non Uccidere' (Thou shalt not kill) on More Four's 'Walter Presents' euro movie channel. The chief character is a young female detective Valeria Ferrero, whose strong point is investigating domestic homicides, probing the motives of all involved. Her character reminds me somewhat of Detective Sara Lund in 'The Killing', introverted, independent minded, persistent. Miriam Leone, the actor who plays Valeria won the Miss Italy beauty contest in 2008, so an unusually elegant and beautiful police officer. I'm not sure how this will work out, whether she has enough character to fill out the role, but as there are twelve episodes, there's lots of time for further development.

No comments:

Post a Comment