Friday 4 October 2019

Busy at the keyboard

An unusually busy day for me, writing at the computer. I'm so grateful I can now sit for much longer than I could before the last operation. To be so productive in a day feels like approaching normality again, after a miserable year, even though there's still a few months more until closure is possible.

First there were corrections and edits to make on the reference, then drafting an order of service for next Tuesday's funeral, and then a sermon for Sunday services in Grangetown. The only down-side to all this was feeling rather stiff in my upper back, neck and shoulders, being unused to spending a long time in this posture. I wasn't expecting that!

I had another request to do a funeral at Thornhill Crematorium, just before we go away. It's for a family travelling with the remains of the deceased from North Devon. The man in question lived in Canton before moving in his latter years to be closer to the rest of his family. I wonder if he specified the return home in his will?

The waters of the Taff were high again after the rain of the past few days. A heron was standing close to the entrance of the Blackweir fish ladder when I passed by on my daily walk. I got one good shot before it flew off, and would have got a better one on the wing if the HX90 hadn't taken a couple of seconds to save the first one, and the auto-focus struggled although I had the bird full in frame for once. I don't understand why it should take so long to save a shot. The SD card is far from full, and the auto-focus with zoom extended isn't as good as I expect it to be. The older HX300 auto-focus is far better. I mut go into the shop and discuss this with one of their technical people.

In the evening I watched last week's episode of 'Non Uccidere' on my tablet, while this weeks was on live, rather than watch them in the wrong order, as there is a family drama sub-plot running alongside the case of the week. Last week's episode involved school girl prostitution, not initiated by organised crime, but by two youngsters wanting more money than their parents allowed them, making use of a Tinder-like social network to find clients. Evidently, a social network without age-related safeguards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment