Wednesday 3 March 2021

Blackweir bridge open again!

Woke up just as Thought for the Day was starting, then uploaded my reflection to the Parish WhatsApp thread, with ease. After breakfast a quick trip to Tesco's on an errand for Clare, then time before and after lunch working on tomorrow's reflection, done in the same way. This also took me a long time, so it was almost four when I set out for my walk. Thankfully sunset now is almost at six o'clock, so I'm not having to finish my day's walk in the dark.

I was delighted to find that Blackweir Bridge has reopened today. I thought it was meant to be tomorrow, but Wednesday makes sense, for a University maintained bridge, given that the afternoon is reserved for sporting activities and Pontcanna Fields are well used to that end. Not that many teams can play officially at the moment, but individuals on training regimes can benefit from running circuits I guess. I was out rather late, so didn't see if anyone was actually out training earlier in the day.

Rules for bridge use are spelled out in bi-lingual notices - single file, well spaced, walking not lingering on the bridge. There were only a handful on the bridge when I walked to and fro, movement of the bridge deck was noticeable. The more people crossing the less vibration seems noticeable. It'll be good to walk in the Bute Park woodland again on a regular basis, more conveniently that it has been over the past year.

I had lovely messages from Rosi and Sarah in Ibiza, recalling my arrival there this Wednesday a year ago. I'm so glad they have a pastor wanting to serve them, and hope the formalities and eventual move don't take too long. Brexit and covid restrictions mean there are going to be hurdles to surmount unfortunately. The long wait to fill ministerial vacancies continues all over the euro-diocese, as it does in UK.

Having prepared tomorrow's funeral service this evening, I continued to work on the other two for next week, especially the bi-lingual one. I'll need to practice reading this one through a great deal until it feels right. I'd find it easier to do this in French or Spanish, sad to say about my native language. My first girl friend was a native Welsh speaker. I learned a few things from her, but we never got around to conversing in Welsh. More's the pity. I feel ashamed of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment