Thursday 25 March 2021

Forgotten childhood games

The day started with rain, but as the morning went on the rain clouds blew away and the sun shone again, as we hoped it would. I cooked lunch as Clare was working in the kindergarten and brought her colleague Jackie home for a lunch in the garden, the first time it;s been possible five months.

Owain has made progress in preparing for the purchase of his first apartnent, and asked if we could send him the initial sum to cover conveyancing and survey fees, I was going to visit the bank in town to ask about the security protocol for transferring the deposit money, which will be the next step, but by the time lunch was over the bank was about to close at two. So I'll have to go tomorrow.

Recently the suture has been giving me problems sitting comfortably, no matter what measures I take the relieve the pressure on my rear end. A toilet seat is about the only comfortable way to sit as it relieves the pressure by transferring the weight of my body on to my thighs. The standard pressure relieving rings and cushions are just not firm enough on their own to take my weight. After a particularly painful sit down at the garden table eating lunch I went to the hardware store on Canton Cross and bought myself a toilet seat I could experiment with. I have it mounted on top of my firm foam ring, set on a plank of wood, to place on a soggy settee cushion. This combination takes my weight and relieves the pressure nicely, so I could sit for three and a  half hours without pain and discomfort, or getting numb thighs. So, it was worth the effort.

In the evening I watched the 2014 movie 'The Lone Ranger'. The black and white TV series was one of the first things I recall watching as an eleven year old when we first had a telly, so I had some notion of the background to the storyline. It was beautifully filmed on location with much CGI used to concoct and choreograph sensational complex action scenes. The whole narrative was ingeniously framed with a boy in a Lone Ranger outfit visiting a Wild West Museum. He sees a tableau featuring the Ranger's Commanche First Nation companion Tonto. The figure comes to life and tells him how the Lone Ranger story began. 

So far so good. There's lots of quirky 'buddy movie' comic banter between the main characters in between crazy action scenes. Many of them however, are fantastic, hyper-real, over-stated. In too many of them the human frame is subjected to an excessive degree of violence without succumbing to injury or shock. I believe this is totally unnecessary. It adds nothing to the story and perpetuates the illusion that human hero figures are invulnerable, superhuman. Kids can't always clearly distinguish between fantasy and reality. This is meant to be a movie for kids. Although it has positive messages about First Nation people and how America treated them and shows how damaging greed and corruption can be, it could have been done far better without the level of 'excess to impress'.

Funny, although the movie began and ended with the boy in a Lone Ranger outfit, it took ages for me to remember that as a ten year old, a photo was taken of me in a similar outfit, sitting on the back garden wall. I was a big Wild West fan in Junior School, but very naive about that far off world. The enthusiasm soon faded away when I passed the Eleven Plus and went to Grammar School. What I recall of cowboy and indian play in the ferns and long grass on the hillside of The Graig near to home was so far removed from what we saw on screen. Do kids play cowboy and indian games outdoors any more? Or is it done exclusively on video game consoles nowadays?

No comments:

Post a Comment