Monday 8 March 2021

A time to buy

I woke up to mechanical commotion in the street this morning marking the end of gas main replacement work. Several lorries with tarmac and road rollers were filling in the excavation holes neatly, leaving the road and pavements with neat new black patches. It's a cold blue sky sunny day, with weather warnings for stronger cold winds later in the week. Back to the warmer thick pullover again for the time being. 

I wrote to my GP today giving an update on my condition and enquiring about a medication prescription. Two weeks ago I was supposed to have a telephone consultation with a pharmacology expert, but since it was cancelled I've heard nothing more, so I thought I'd report this and ask what's going to happen next.

There's a funeral tomorrow, for which I received the minister's fee cheque Friday last, but I'm unable to bank as it omits my surname, likewise the accompanying notification letter. I rang the given number at the time and asked the call centre dealing with me to pass on a message to the funeral arranger about this. Saturday I sent an email as I'd not been contacted. No response today either, so I rang the call centre again, and asked to be contacted. No response again which is rather strange. I hope everything else is in order regarding this funeral. It's unusual to have to deal with a call center about a funeral, especially when the handler seems to have difficulty in laying hands on the required information.

First Minister Mark Drakeford is being criticised for his candid remarks about Boris Johnson in last night's S4C documentary, something about being 'disrespectful' to the Prime Minister's office. Nothing about the disrespect shown by the Prime Minister by neglecting to consult the Celtic national governments about the measures in place against the pandemic. The past year has certainly stress tested the relationship between London and the regions. It really is time for re-assessment.

On my afternoon walk, I re-visited the same pussy willow tree on the riverside with another camera in an effort to get sharper close-up photos. This was my third effort. I can't figure out what I'm not doing right to get better close up images. It's lovely to see, day by day, tiny changes taking place in nature with bursting buds, leaves and flowers. Having the time to look in detail is a real blessing.

Big excitement this afternoon. Owain has been to see a flat for sale in a small co-ownership apartment block near where he lives. It's just about within his price range given his modest civil service salary. We've decided to help him out with the deposit. After all, the past couple of years we haven't been able to spend on planned cruises or holidays, due to my infirmity and then the pandemic, so we might as well put saved cash to good use. Confirming all this to the mortgage broker and the bank required writing letter, signing, scanning and emailing them to him, so that he could submit his offer as soon as possible given that there's bound to be competitors for the apartment. "If not this one" he says philosophically "There'll be another."

For the first time six months no covid deaths have been reported in Wales and the infection rate continues to fall. There's an air of optimism about restrictions being lifted, but realistically it'll happen slowly and carefully. Already we see people meeting in groups in the parks that don't look much like families bubbling. People are pushing boundaries and are unchecked by police. Instead of being obliged to stay home a five mile general travel limit is mooted. I suspect that it will get ignored but that a few unlucky folk will get stopped and fined. People are tired of restrictions and in good weather it's tempting to ignore them and take risks. Beingthat much closer to regaining freedom makes it all much more difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment