Wednesday 29 June 2022

Cataract op news

Another cool damp and cloudy day, but with no heavy rain. I went to the Eucharist at St Catherine's after breakfast. There were nine of us celebrating St Peter the Apostle in the church hall again as the decorators working in church haven't completed the job by the scheduled date. I chatted briefly with Mother Frances afterwards. It's confirmed that Mother Emma will serve both St Catherine's and St Peter's Fairwater in future, though we're unlikely to see her on Wednesdays as there's also a service at St Peter's. The prospect of exchanging weekdays with St John's so that Emma could be at St Catherine's on a Thursday hasn't been welcomed. Congregations are rather set in their routines it seems. 

It won't be easy to find substitute clergy for weeks when Mother Frances can't cover long term. While I'm always willing to plug the gap, sustainable arrangements have to be made that don't depend on retired clergy. Father Hugh at Fairwater will cover the weeks when Emma is at St. Catherine's, but like me he's retired. I suppose for now we'll just muddle along. 

I went straight from St Catherine's to pick up this week's veggie bag. By the time I got home, Clare had cooked a delicious pinto bean curry for lunch, using the other half of the can I opened yesterday. All I had to do was cook the brown rice to go with it.

I was delighted to receive a call from St Joseph's Hospital about arranging a cataract operation date. It has to be in the Autumn. I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to have it as soon as we return from Spain just in case I'm unlucky enough to contract another dose of covid on the return trip, so we agreed on the 22nd September, which would give me enough time to recover if the worst happened, and give the hospital more time to rearrange the booked slot if I did have to cancel.

We went to Beanfreaks together mid afternoon so that Clare could buy stocks of different kinds of flour and I could lug the heavy shopping trolley home. A strange sort of outing! Then I worked on next week's Morning Prayer and reflection before walking in the park for an hour. With nothing of interest on telly, I decided to use the time scanning negatives. There's still a pile of old photo wallets to get through, and no idea what they may contain until I start of them.

I spent an enjoyable evening scanning a packet ot really old negatives dating back to our time in St Paul's Bristol, including lovely black and white ones of baby Owain from 1979, some of our wedding and first visit to Clare's family home in Ewell with baby Owain and his sisters. Such happy memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment