Tuesday 17 October 2023

Another covid jab in view

Cloudy and dry all day, with a cold wind on times. Clare's study group arrived at ten, so I confined myself to the front room, and after saying Morning Prayer, prepared the text for next week's ready to record and started writing a reflection based on a letter from Eugenio Mesón one of many pro-democracy activists imprisoned and murdered by Franco’s regime in the aftermath of the Spanish civil war. He knew his fate was sealed and wrote a farewell message to his wife saying ‘Take flowers to the mass grave where our bodies will fall.’

It occurred to me that we have no letter from Jesus, but we do have St John's account of what he said to his disciples after the last supper. It was a good starting point, but completing it took a lot more time, especially as I had to cook lunch in the midst of being creative. A text message arrived while I was sitting and relaxing after eating, with a date for my next covid jab - November 6th

It was gone four by the time I went out for a walk. I chatted with Ashley about jabs while I walked along the river path. He has his jab on 7th November. This time jabs are being offered in Rookwood Hospital, a walk away from Llandaff village. The original Victorian mansion was the home of Sir Edward Hill who was behind the building of the Port of Cardiff's dry dock, with a former convent in Taormina Sicily for his winter holiday home, as I discovered when I did a month's locum duty there in 2012. I was sent there once for a cardio scan, so I'm pleased to have another opportunity to return there. It's a beautiful place.

Clare had gone out to meditation group by the time I got back. After supper, I made some additions to Sway, and listened to the CD of the Daniel Martinez Flamenco Company's show 'Art of Believing'. It was recorded live at the show premiere in Edinburgh six years ago. The sound quality is better than at the show itself, where the bass tones were over amplified, compromising the balance. One of the CD tracks 'Alegria in Escocias' was recorded by the BBC at a live broadcast of the Radio Four show 'Loose Ends' at the Edinburgh festival. As this number is now part of the show it may have been added after the original recording was made. Unfortunately the CD is flawed. The last track stops abruptly three minutes short of its end, and the introductory section from the broadcast of 'Alegria in Esocia' comes at its end rather than at the start. Apart from these quirks, it makes delightful listening.

With jobs done, I ended the evening with another episode of 'The Fall'. It certainly packs in a lot of detail and surprises, more than the average police procedural crimmie, but then it does have seventeen hour long episodes, which is rather unusual.

No comments:

Post a Comment