Sunday 15 October 2023

Unexpected meeting in church

A lovely sunny morning to wake up to, and a late start for St German's to celebrate Mass. The church was flooded with sunlight throughout though it was warmer outside than indoors. The mood was sombre with the situation in Gaza at the forefront of people's minds. Perhaps because I've been away for a few weeks, I was slower with longer silences in celebrating and preached a little longer than I usually do so we finished nearly ten minutes later than planned.

As there was a road closure in Westgate street in the town centre, I took the precaution of returning home to Canton by the Grangetown route, just in case there were traffic queues. This takes longer, but there was less traffic and no slow queues. It's difficult to get home for lunch until one fifteen either way.

After lunch, I slept for an hour, then went out for a walk around the park. At five, I caught the 61 bus to Fairwatwer, to celebrate Evensong and Benediction at St Peter's. I left early, anticipating there might be problems with the bus timetable due to a bus stop relocation in the town centre, thanks to roadworks in Westgate Street. A bus arrived minutes after I reached the stop - the previous bus, late! Jane got on the same bus, also on her way to St Peter's, and we arrived with more than half an hour to spare. It was good to meet up with Richard again and share a few moans about the state of the church.

The organ was being played when we arrived and unlocked. It was a contemporary of mine from St Mike's days, Richard Fenwick, the retired bishop of St Helena, also a lifelong organist. I think he lives nearby and has his own key. Like me, he enjoys locum ministry, and is currently helping out in the upper Rhymney Valley, not far from my childhood home. He was in church practicing for a concert, but didn't stop for the service. There were just three of us again, but I think we each enjoyed the serenity of quiet eventide prayer together. Kate gave Jane and I a lift back to Pontcanna, and I was home just in time for the Archers.

After supper, we watched 'Antiques Roadshop', then I watched another episode of 'The Fall' before turning in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment