Friday 20 October 2023

Inclement weather

Another day of intermittent rain, sometimes heavy but South Wales is just outside the impact zone of the huge and dangerous storm hitting Northern Britain with a month's rain falling in 24 hours in some places causing floods and transport chaos. After breakfast I walked down to the Taff in the drizzle to check the water level and found it was already dropping and no higher than its usual autumnal level. It could have been worse if the storm had shifted further south at its present ferocity. Given climate instability these days, who knows if we'll escape another time.

Walking to Blackweir and taking a circuit of Pontcanna Fields in the morning for a change was refreshing. Maybe I'd benefit from exercising earlier in the dayI completed work on next Thursday's Morning Prayer video slide show, and uploaded it to YouTube when I got back, as Clare was already cooking lunch. After eating, I fell asleep in the chair for an hour, and then went out walking again, this time in pouring rain but fully kitted out with my oldest and strongest rain trousers. The elastic waistband has perished, so I had to use a pair of braces to hold them up, but the trousers withstood the downpour well. There were some very wet dogs and owners out walking despite the weather.

When I got home, I watched some more episodes of 'The Fall' on BBC iPlayer before and after supper until it was time to catch this week's live episode of Norwegian crimmie 'For Life' and BBC News at Ten. It was good to learn of the release of two American women held hostage by Hamas in Gaza. I hope and pray there will be more releases before the Israeli army ground offensive happens.

As I was preparing to wind down for the night, I had a message from Iona to say that the first mother and toddler Friday play group session in St Catherine's church hall had been a success, despite the weather. It's good news, and reassuring to know that a local current need has been identified and responded to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment